On March 10, 1850, two men and four women declared their faith and united to form the First Preabyterian church of Winneconne. In 1856, with a membership of 33, the first church building was constructed. That building was destroyed by fire in the summer of 1886. Five yeras later, in 1891, the present church was built and dedicated. In 1949, a major renovation project was undertaken. The result was a larger sanctuary with a new chancel, new front entrance steps, an improved kitchen, and additional Sunday School space. This was completed in time for the church's 100th anniversary in 1950. A new manse was built in 1957. The purchase of adjoining property in the late 70's allowed for a large addition, which was dedicated in October, 1980. This project provided a new kitchen and a fellowship hall which could easily be divided into several rooms for Christian Education. The full basement remained unfinished until 1994. It is currently used for a variety of Christian Education activities.
Throughout its history, First Presbyterian Church has been a leader in promoting an ecumenical spirit in the community. We continue these endeavors today.